Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Depressing Reality of Women Directed Films in 2012

You have to check out this article by Melissa Silverstein on Women in Hollywood.  She begins:

"I really wish I wasn't writing this but over the last couple of days it has become clear to me that 2012 could be another depressing year for women directed films.  I started feeling sad last week when I was leafing through page after page of the Rentrak list of films with release dates in 2012 and had a hard time finding any women directed films on the list.  I know that list is always a work in progress, but still it was depressing....
http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/the-depressing-reality-of-women-directed-films-in-2012

The post is interesting but the comments are what's truly revealing:
Daniel says:  "Male directors go out of their way to establish a style for themselves. When you see their films you know the film you're seeing is their own and you would know it without being reminded of it. If you watch a Soderbergh, a Scorsese, a Spielberg, a Tarantino, a Nolan, a Michael Bay, a Woody Allen, or a Spike Lee film you know their style because it's identifiable. I can't say the same with Kathryn Bigelow or a Nancy Meyers...."

Fortunately, BB responds:  "I'm sorry; I have to call bullshit on this. Attributing women directors' problems to the supposed inferiority of women directors is absolute bullshit. Most male directors don't have a distinctive style, yet their films get made...."

This is exactly what I was talking about on this week's show with comics Dhaya Lakshminarayanan and Karinda Dobbins -- that when women don't get booked, people say it's just because men are so much funnier.  Like is it possible that the "distinctive style" of Kathryn Bigelow or Nancy Meyers just doesn't grab Daniel, because their sensibilities are different?

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment